Sunday, January 9, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie From Scratch



My mom, always made the most amazing chicken pot pie when I was younger and since I keep telling my boyfriend and everyone else how good it is, I thought, I need to try and make it myself. I feel like my cooking skills have really improved but I am not so confident in my baking skills, so I thought about buying a pre-made crust. I'm so glad I didn't! Making everything from scratch really made a difference and gave a richness to the flavors. I have to warn you though, this was an all day affair. I don't really mind though, I actually quite enjoy it but it's certainly the kind of recipe that only lends itself to a Sunday!

Start by making your own stock, it is really worth it.



This is what the finished stock will look like.
For the base of the filling, use your stock to make a roux.

Ingredients for the filling


My home made pie crust

Drew trying to roll the dough. It wasn't working for him so he left it for me.


I made individual ramekins, for one because I just got them for Christmas and two because I'm a corner piece girl anyways.






Ingredients:

Stock:
1 whole chicken, (about 3 pounds)
1 gallon cool water
2 carrots, cut into about 2" pieces
2 celery stocks, cut into pieces
1 onion, halved
1 head of garlic, halved
4 or 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf
a handful of whole black peppercorns

Pie Crust: thanks to my mom!
3 cups flour
1 cup fat (I took my mom's advise and did 1/2 butter, 1/2 shortening but you can do all one too)
1 tsp vinegar
1 cup ice water
1 egg mixed with 3tbsp. water(for the top)

Filling:
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
salt and pepper
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
2 russet potatos, cut into 1/4" cubes


Directions:

Pie Crust:
I actually made mine in the food processor, which was really easy.
1. add flour
2. cut butter into small pieces (make sure butter is cold)
3. add butter and shortening and pulse
4. add ice cube to 1 cup water
5.add 1 teaspoon vinegar to water
6. slowly add water vinegar mixture to the flour and butter and pulse
(make sure not to over mix it, you don't want your butter to be too warm)
7. when dough start to clump together, remove from the food processor and wrap in plastic wrap. You wont use the entire cup of water but follow to get the ratio correct.
8. Let dough sit in the refrigerator for at least a half an hour.

Stock:
1. Add chicken to the stockpot and cover with 1 gallon of cold water.
2. Add vegetables and herbs and bring pot to a boil
3. Skim pot and then simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes, skimming often.
4. Remove the chicken to a plate and allow to cool
5. Cook the broth for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Use a colander to strain the broth into another pot.
7. Pull out carrots or any other veggies you want to add to the filling and discard the rest.
8. When the chicken is cool enough, shred the meat and discard the skin and bones.

Filling:
1.Wipe out the stockpot and put it back on the stovetop over medium heat.
2.Melt the butter and then whisk in the flour to form a roux ( or paste).
3. Gradually, pour 8 cups of chicken broth, whisking the whole time.
4. Whisk and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, it will look like a gravy.
5.Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add shredded chicken and vegetables and stir to combine.
7. Turn off the heat.

To assemble:
1. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and cut a top and bottom piece for your dish. Like I said before, I used four individual ramekins, but you can also use one large casserole dish.
2. Lay your bottom layer of crust
3. Fill with chicken and vegetable filling
4. Lay second layer of crust on top.
5. Cut slits in the top of dough and brush with egg wash.
6. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
7. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and put crocks on a baking sheet.
8. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until the tops are nice and brown.
9. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes
10. Dig in and go into a sleepy pot pie coma!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment