Monday, January 10, 2011

Trying to get back on the wagon is tough...


I've been trying to force myself to eat healthy and go back to the gym, so I'm going to be posting some healthier recipes than I have been. The going back to the gym part is really the easy part because I really like to work out. I love being at the gym, I love being sore, and I love the way I feel after a good work out. The hard part is that I really like to cook as well and I like to try new recipes. Most of the recipes that look good and that I want to try are not the healthiest. They're not terrible usually but they're not the kind of things that work for me when I'm trying to get really lean. I could make them healthier, but let's face it, they just wouldn't taste the same. I'm not going to a totally strict diet just yet, but I am trying to be better.

Saturday night, I made my boyfriend's sister in law's salmon recipe and it was really tasty! We had that with some kale and brussel sprouts. I worked out on Saturday so I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a little extra greens!

Nikki's Salmon Marinade and Sauce


Ingredients:
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tblsp. Bourbon
2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp. Lime Juice
1 Tbsp. ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. pepper

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients and marinate fish for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
2. Then simmer marinade until it thickens, and use it as a sauce.




For the brussel sprouts, see my earlier post called My tasty NYE. for the recipe.



Here's the ingredients you will need for the greens.

I actually, wanted to make Rapini but they didn't have any that day, so I made Kale instead but it was really good and healthy too.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of kale
Orange zest and fresh squeezed orange juice
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 small shallot, diced
crushed red pepper
salt and pepper
a splash of white vinegar

Directions:
1. Add a tbsp. of co cconut oil to a medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add garlic and shallots and cook until softened.
3. Add kale, orange zest,orange juice, crushed red pepper
4. Season with salt and pepper
5. Cook kale until bright green and add a splash of vinegar





No comments:

Post a Comment